Friday, October 10, 2008

Our Chicken Coop





When we first bought our farm house, Mark started to talk about all the farm animals he wanted to get, goats, chickens, geese. At first I thought he was kidding, but then when he brought over this old giant feeder from the neighboring farm I knew he wasn't. So I thought "Umm, I I know nothing about raising chickens, but I guess I will learn." So I turned to Backyardchickens.com for all my questions. We ordered some chickens from my visiting teacher and then started working on converting this old feeder into a chicken coop. I still have some more finishing touches to do, but it is pretty much finished. Alyssa gathers the eggs every day and helps keep the chickens feed and watered. We told her that if she helps enough than we will let her keep the money from selling the extra eggs. The girls are doing so good. We have 11 hens and are getting 11 eggs a day! So anyone wanting farm fresh eggs, Alyssa is selling them for $1/dozen.

4 comments:

Hayley said...

i LOVE that you are a chicken-farmer! seriously! if i had room in my small backyard, i would be a chicken lady. all those health benefits and not to mention the moola i would save! i'm so happy for you. will alyssa ship a few dozen to california? :)

derrickandlisadye said...

Wow, candace I am so impressed. I don't know if I could have chickens they scare me. But that is so fun for alyssa. very cool!!

Genessa said...

So cute I love it. I told my husband that I wanted one and he thought that I was crazy. So I guess that was a no. Glad to see that you guys are doing great.
That was a fun day hanging out with you also, it is always fun to catch up. Sure do miss you guys, hope to see you soon.

Newton said...

So cute!!!