Tuesday, November 17, 2009

All Aboard the Birthday Express!

Some might be thinking "Wasn't Cole born in December?" Yep, we received a huge "lump of Cole" for Christmas (almost 9 pounds!). Last year, no one could come to his party due to lots of Christmas party commitments. I never intended to have a Christmas baby--My friend has a refrigerator magnet that says "We plan, God laughs." That is exactly what happened. I feel bad for Cole to have his birthday so close to Christmas, so we decided to celebrate a month early. (I'll post some baby pics on the actual day, Dec 16, like I did with Alyssa's birthday.)

Cole's party invitation I created.
A couple of people asked what he is holding. It is a wooden train whistle. We had one when I was a kid. I think they are so fun, so we got them to give out as party favors.
He was pouting a little when I was taking his pictures. He wanted to "drive" the train, but was a little intimidated of how big the train was when I stuck him up there.
I love this one.
The cake.
I almost didn't make it. I kept thinking cupcakes would be easier. I am glad I did make it though and it turned out not to be too hard or time consuming. Cole absolutely loved it and it was a great way to use up some Halloween candy.
This morning, Cole came and woke me up and said "Mom, here I am. People ate my train cake."
With lots of help from the other kids, he tore through all the presents so fast. I had a hard time keeping track of who gave what. Its hard to manage that when you are behind the camera. It was a great party though. We had lots of family and lots of yummy food. Big Thanks to all who came. He is having so much fun today, playing with all his gifts and talking about his choo choo train birthday. We sure love our "lump of Cole", even though he came different than when we planned. He has the funnest personality and is a great addition to our little family. I can't believe he is 3, well, almost 3.

3 comments:

Tara said...

A great idea! We suffer from a December baby as well. His pictures are adorable. I love the one you do. Nice job!

Kimmie said...

LOVE the photos you took of Cole!! You are SO talented.

We sure had LOTS of fun visiting at the party and seeing all of the awesome work you put into his cake and yummy food you served.

I think you should make it a yearly tradition to celebrate his birthday a month early. I have a friend whose son was born December 21st and so she celebrates his "half" birthday in JUNE every year and that is when he has a party with friends.

There is no rule that says you have to celebrate on the actual day, especially with the craziness of the holidays.

Hope your having a great day!

Janiel said...

Your a genious! Why didnt I think of having a birthday party a month early. Burkley was born on the
18th of December and I know all to well about the holiday commitments and such. Next year I am so stealing your idea. Also, LOVE your invitations, the train pics and your train cake. Very creative!